Q. Where can I find study aids?
Study aids can clarify confusing concepts and even provide practice questions for your review. A variety of study aids are available and the best one to use depends on your course and individual study habits. Most of these books can be found in the Study Aids section (on the left side of the Reading Room, 2d floor), with older editions in the stacks available for checkout.
- Black Letter Outlines (primary rules of law)
- Bridge to Practice Series (short summaries and real-world applications)
- Concepts and Insights (basic theoretical foundations)
- Concise Hornbook Series (condensed version of in-depth Hornbooks)
- Emanuel Law Outlines (critical issues, short answer questions)
- Examples & Explanations (practice questions and answers)
- Glannon Guides (explanations & multiple choice questions)
- High Court Case Summaries (keyed to casebooks, synopses of major cases)
- Hornbooks (in-depth treatment with extensive citations)
- Law Stories Series (significant cases in major areas of law)
- Mastering Series (substance & key topics of law course)
- Nutshells (a broad overview of a subject)
- Short & Happy Law Series (concise explanations, "The Takeaway" summaries)
- Turning Point (a broad overview similar to Nutshells)
- Understanding Series (“concise, yet comprehensive”)
We also collect Sum & Substance and carry some Gilbert Law Summaries study aids as audio discs. The newest editions are held at the Circulation Desk (2d floor atrium) while older sets are housed in our Media Services room 1st Floor.
If you want to see all the different study aids the library has on a particular legal topic, then use our Treatise Finders to find a list.
CALI lessons are another useful exam review option. Over 800 interactive lessons prepared by law professors and librarians cover over 30 practice areas of law. Get a registration code by picking up a CALI card from the display in the Reading Room, or by asking at the Reference Desk in the Atrium.
If you would like to see guides on studying for and taking law school examinations, we have some books in our collection to assist you.
Good luck with your studies!